- What is infertility?
- Infertility in men - What causes fertility problems in men?
- Symptoms of infertility in men
- Diagnosis and treatment of infertility in men
- Infertility in women - What causes fertility problems in women?
- Symptoms of infertility in women
- How is infertility diagnosed and treated in women?
- Complications of fertility treatment in women
- Risk factors and outlook for infertility in men and women
Complications of fertility treatment in women
Every treatment has its risks and complications, with fertility treatments these can include:
- OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome) – this results in the ovaries swelling and becoming painful due to fertility medications that induce ovulation.
- Multiple pregnancy –this is a common complication with IVF due to multiple embryos being inserted into the woman’s uterus. Legally, clinics in some countries are prohibited from inserting more than three embryos at one time.
- Infection or bleeding – this is a rare risk associated with any invasive procedure.