Tips for healthier urine
- Drink enough fluids, around six to eight glasses2 of water a day, unless you suffer from certain conditions such as heart disease or kidney failure.
- Eat foods that contain probiotics to help prevent UTIs.
- Avoid over drinking alcohol, fizzy drinks such as soda and caffeine.
- Stop smoking
- Exercise regularly to prevent bladder issues and constipation.
- Embrace pelvic floor muscle exercises (Kegels) to strengthen the bladder and help hold urine in.
- Urinate often and when you need to, don't hold it in for long periods of time as this can lead to bladder infections and further complications.
- Don't rush when urinating and make sure that you fully empty your bladder each time.
- Urinate after sex to eliminate any bacteria that may have entered the urethra during sex.
- National Institute on Aging. 13 Tips to Keep Your Bladder Healthy. 01 May 2017. Available at: https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/13-tips-keep-your-bladder-healthy Accessed [ 08/02/2018]