When to see a doctor for allergies

When to see a doctor for allergies

When to see a doctor

When to see a doctor for allergic reactions

The symptoms of allergies can create a variety of complications. Should you feel as though you are experiencing any of the symptoms of allergies, then it is advised that you consult with your doctor in order to understand if your allergic reactions are minor or severe. This way you can get an accurate diagnosis and be informed of the available treatment options in order to manage your symptoms effectively.  

When to consult a doctor regarding food allergies

Food allergies can result in nausea, swelling, fatigue and vomiting, amongst other symptoms. It can sometimes take a while for someone to realise they have a mild reaction to certain food groups. However, should a person experience severe symptoms after eating something, then it is advised that they seek immediate medical attention as in some cases, if left untreated the symptoms can progress with each exposure to the certain food allergen.

When to visit a doctor regarding seasonal allergies

The symptoms of hay fever can often mimic the symptoms of a cold. This includes swollen eyes, congestion and a runny nose. The majority of these symptoms can be self-managed at home and with over-the-counter medications. However, should the symptoms persist and progress to being unmanageable, then the affected person should see a doctor.

When to see a doctor regarding severe allergies

Allergies that are severe and result in anaphylaxis can be life-threatening and require emergency attention and treatment. If a person knows they have a severe allergic reaction to something, they will often carry an EpiPen with them. When the symptoms appear, they should give themselves the shot immediately. An EpiPen is an injection that allows the airways to open (more on this under the section on medication).

Disclaimer - MyMed.com is for informational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any condition or illness or act as a substitute for professional medical advice.